Landscaping Tips: Fall Season Flowers
Fall is a beautiful time of year, often underestimated by the amateur gardener. Fall gardens can look spectacular, showing a variety of stunning blooms are that eye-catching and offer a wonderful close to a productive growing season.
The most popular flowers for fall gardens include:
- Asters – New England asters offer brilliant blues, pinks, purples and white blooms and look especially attractive in gardens. They are dearly loved by butterflies and require well-drained soil in full sun. At only five inches tall, these flowers are native to North America and grow well in zones four through eight.
- Toad Lily – Perfect for shade, toad lilies are easy perennials that feature stunning orchid-like flowers that bloom from late summer through mid-fall. Thriving in well-drained, moist soil in shady areas, this lily grows to three feet tall and two feet wide. It is not native to North America but thrives in zones four through nine.
- Goldenrod – With heights up to four feet tall, this cheery yellow blooming plant is hardy and drought tolerant. It requires well-drained soil in full sun. Native to North America, goldenrod is hearty in zones four through nine.
- Sunflowers – Perennial sunflowers are an excellent alternative to single-season annuals. Blooming in late summer to early fall, these flowers are native to North America and grow up to eight feet in height. Hearty in zones four through nine, these sunflowers require well-drained soil in sunny areas.
- Colchicum – This fall-blooming crocus features large cup shapes in brilliant whites or pinks. Hearty in sun or shade, this plant grows up to six inches in height and requires well-drained soil. Plentiful in zones four through nine.
- Helenium – Adding much-needed bursts of red, orange and yellow, this easy-to-grow native plant grows up to five feet tall and is abundant in zones four through eight.
- Red Spider Lily – Exotic and unique, this lily grows up to two feet tall and is hearty in zones eight through 10. This lily requires well-drained soil and full sun.
- Japanese Anemone – With large poppy-shaped flowers, these brilliant pink and white flowers prefer lots of room to spread. Growing up to five feet tall, these anemones require full sun and well-drained soil.
- Turtlehead – These plants offer green foliage that looks pristine until frosts hit. They offer white or pink blooms and grow up to three feet tall. Native to North America, these plants love moist soil and full sun, thriving in zones four through nine.
- Monkshood – In beautiful shades of blue, this flower grows up to six feet tall and loves moist, well-drained soil located in partial shade. Monkshood thrives in zones three to seven.
- Leadplant – A striking ground cover, this plant thrives in shade or sun and well-drained soil. Up to 18 inches tall, this non-native plant thrives in zones five through nine.
Landscape Supply of Utah offers a wide variety of Utah landscaping supplies. They specialize in carrying decorative rock in Utah, Salt Lake City bark, Salt Lake City sand, Utah gravel and Utah mulch.
- 13 September 2016
- 08 September 2016
- 30 August 2016
- 06 August 2016
- 19 July 2016