A Decade’s Worth of Successful Gardening Trends
Once something only farmers did, gardening has vastly become a hobby empire. Since the 1990s, when the gardening movement became front and center in many local communities, homeowners have been embracing decorating the exterior of their homes, just as much as the interiors. Highlighted below are some of the most popular gardening trends over the last 10 years.
- Shrubs – Many varieties of shrubs are evergreen and they offer abundant spring and summertime blooms. With weeping designs and striped foliage, shrubs have never looked so good.
- Foliage – A home’s plants don’t need to be strictly blooming varieties. Today’s designs include variegated hostas, topical cannas, New Zealand flax, Persian Shield and Alternanthera. Ornamental grasses and Coral Bells are also beautiful accompaniments to any yard.
- Roses – The latest varieties of roses include disease resistant strains, which are less time consuming and are also fail-safe for even those who lack green thumbs.
- Stepables – Low growing and creeping plants are perfect when placed around pavers. They add a sense of softness and welcome visitors into gardens.
- Front Yards – Front yard areas can embrace privacy by adding shrubs, trees and large bushes. Select low maintenance, drought tolerant designs for Utah landscaping.
- Container Vegetables – Vegetable gardening is making a comeback in a big way. As more people want to eat healthy, they are embracing growing their own food. Edible landscaping is popular for patios and also for planting beds.
- Lawns – Fine fescues and buffalo grasses are very low maintenance. These require minimal mowing, which is great for homeowners looking for low maintenance landscaping designs.
- Rain Gardens – This design includes planting near driveways so that rainwater is able to absorb into flowerbeds. They function well and offer much-needed watering for planting beds with minimal maintenance.
- Anything Goes – Today, there are so many garden designs, that many people are embracing mixing styles and simply embracing their inner gardener. Having fun is a significant part of being a successful gardener.
Landscape Supply of Utah focuses on Salt Lake City landscaping. They offer a wide selection of bark mulch, decorative gravel, cobble, topsoil, sand, playground sand, organic compost and poultry compost. They also offer boulders and flagstone, as well as feature elements, such as fire and water.
Their expansive nursery includes a wide variety of shrubs, conifers, deciduous trees, groundcover, perennials, grasses and specimens. They also offer a design center that offers consultations, including Tier 1, 2 and 3 designs.
- 13 September 2016
- 08 September 2016
- 30 August 2016
- 06 August 2016
- 19 July 2016